QuickBooks is preferred by small enterprises throughout the world. Their software facilitates businesses to perform complex operations in a few minutes. However, sometimes its users face issues like QuickBooks Error 1904 which requires immediate attention. This issue is easy to resolve and users might not need to be technically strong. Let’s understand what causes this error and how it can be resolved in a few minutes.
Issues that lead to QuickBooks Error 1904
The most common root cause that may lead to QuickBooks Error 1904 are due to damaged or corrupted Windows components like Visual C++ files. Problems related to Dynamic-link Library (DLLs) might also generate the error. Updating softwares like Adobe Flash Player also often gives rise to this error. Following are some of the most generic and common reasons due to which the user might encounter QuickBooks Error 1904.
- Updating Windows Operating System that leads to Compatibility issues.
- Malicious modification or damage to QuickBooks installer file
- Migration to QuickBooks Desktop from a different version.
- Obstruction caused by security applications during the installation process of the software.
- Lack of privileges or permissions provided.
Possible indicator of QuickBooks Error 1904:
With a response structure similar to other QuickBooks error, error 1904 QuickBooks also includes a thorough and comprehensive error message enlisting the details such as the file name, its location, file extension and other modules that failed to register. Undermentioned are some common indicators of QuickBooks error code 1904:
- Users unable to work with QuickBooks account data and company files
- UI rendering of QuickBooks not happening after the message appears.
- Sluggishness and lag while loading of other system applications.
- Keyboard or mouse operations may become partially or completely unsupported whilst the error is visible.
Fixes that can be used to resolve QuickBooks error 1904
Preliminary troubleshooting of QuickBooks error 1904 may include configuration changes in order to restore the compatibility of the software application with the current Windows Operating System. Following the undermentioned steps may help in better diagnosis to resolve the issue:
Step 1: Using the Install Diagnostic Tool of QuickBooks:
The QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool can be easily installed as it is readily available in the QuickBooks Tool Hub. The readiest way in order to resolve any installation issues by fixing the damaged files on QuickBooks Desktop is by using QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool. For a thorough diagnosis of the tool the QuickBooks Desktop system application must be closed beforehand.
- Run the QuickBooks Tool Hub after downloading and installing the QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Once the installed application is started selection of Installation issues from the options and then the user can select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Select Installation Issues in the options once the application opens and select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Reboot the system and then re-open the QuickBooks system application.
Step 2: Reconfiguring the system settings:
Depending on the applied configurations to the anti-virus softwares and firewalls may avert execution of some QuickBooks files. The QuickBooks files are needed to be included in the exclusion list of the security software application. The exact steps for adding files into the exclusion list might differ for each anti-virus application.
Step 3: Using the Built-in admin account to open QuickBooks Desktop:
Opening the application using the built-in admin account will turn off the UAC (User Account Control). If the cause of the error is due to restriction of permissions then the issue will get resolved as all the restrictions are removed in this mode of operation. This approach is only for intermittent solutions and for proper diagnosis of the issue causing the error while running QuickBooks. Steps below mentioned are to be followed to use this method:
- Depending on the Windows Operating System version try to save test note from the file menu in Notepad in either “C:\Program Files\Common Files” or “C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files”
Reinstall QuickBooks as an administrator if unable to save the test note.
- Search for CMD by pressing the Windows button on the keyboard
- Using the Run as Administrator option open the file
- Net user administrator /active: yes and click the ‘Enter’ button
- Using the Switch User option change to the Default Admin Account
- Using the File Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files
- Open its properties by Right-clicking on it
- Open the Security tab and click on the Edit option in it
- Using the “Group or user names” section choose the users
- In the “Permissions for Users” section turn on Modify, Read execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write permissions
- Click on the ‘Apply’ button and the click ‘Ok’
- Try reinstalling QuickBooks
- Sign in to your QuickBooks account
- If the system is used by multiple users then make the administrator account hidden. After choosing the Run as Administrator option type in “net user administrator /active:no” command in the command prompt to perform the aforementioned action
Step 4: Removing Adobe Flash Player
Standard functioning of QuickBooks Desktop can be obstructed and altered by a recent Adobe Flash Player installation. While the changes of the error 1904 module failed to register quickbooks caused by this error are relatively scarce , the error might get resolved by reinstallation of software.
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu
- After clicking on Uninstall a Program select Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list
- Reinstall the software after successfully uninstalling it
If after following any of the aforementioned steps, the issue of QuickBooks Error code 1904 still persists, then contact QuickBooks technical support team or your service provider for quick assistance. Your inability to resolve the issue indicates that the error is caused in the backend and requires attention from experienced IT professionals.